The Dos and Don’ts of Exterior Power Washing
If you’re looking for a way to give your home’s exterior a fresh new look, power washing may be just the solution. Power washing is the process of using high-pressure water to cleanse surfaces of built-up dirt, grime, or other unwanted materials. But if you’re not careful, you could end up damaging your home’s exterior in the process. Here are some dos and don’ts of exterior power washing to help you get the most out of this home improvement project.
- Start with a lower pressure setting and gradually increase as needed. This will help you avoid doing too much damage to your home’s exterior.
- Wash in sections, starting at the top of your home and working your way down. This will help ensure that any dirty water runs off of your home instead of pooling at the bottom.
- Use a wide-angled nozzle to evenly distribute the water pressure.
- Be sure to move the nozzle in a back-and-forth motion as you clean each section.
- Hold the power washer nozzle too close to your home’s exterior surface. This could result in etching or other damage.
- Power wash on a windy day. The wind could blow debris back onto your home, causing more damage.
- Use too much pressure. This could strip paint or damage siding.
- Forget to rinse off any cleaner or detergent you may have used before power washing. Otherwise, it could be left behind and cause streaking on your home’s exterior.
By following these dos and don’ts of exterior power washing, you can give your home the deep clean it needs without damaging its surface.
Benefits of Power Washing Home’s Exterior
One of the main benefits of power washing your home’s exterior is that it can improve your curb appeal. A clean, freshly power washed home will look much nicer than a dirty one. If you’re looking to sell your home, power washing can be a great way to make it look more appealing to potential buyers.
Power washing can also help to prolong the life of your home’s exterior. Dirt and grime can build up over time and lead to premature wear and tear. By power washing your home’s exterior on a regular basis, you can help to prevent this kind of damage.
In addition, power washing can also remove any mildew or mold that has started to grow on your home’s exterior. This can be especially important in humid climates where mold and mildew can thrive.
Tips for Keeping Home’s Exterior Clean
Keeping your home’s exterior clean can be a challenge, especially if you live in a busy city or area with a lot of pollution. But with a few simple steps, you can keep your home looking great all year long. Here are some tips for keeping your home’s exterior clean:
- Wash your home’s exterior at least once a month with a garden hose and detergent. Be sure to scrub away any built-up dirt, grime, or mildew.
- Inspect your home’s exterior regularly for damage such as peeling paint or wood rot, and repair as necessary.
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed away from the sides of your home to prevent them from collecting dirt and debris.
- Clean up fallen leaves and other debris from the yard on a regular basis.
By following these tips, you can keep your home’s exterior looking its best all year long.